Friday 28 March 2014

How Green Interview



How Green has just released an E.P called 'Oh Verdure', and to us we think it is one of the best for along while. This Adelaide producer has made a big step with this electronic/hiphop E.P which was released on Avantroots records. If your a fan of Evian Christ you will enjoy this guy.
Hows it going?
 

Yeah really good at the moment, nice vibes in the air.

So tell us about How Green, how long has it been going?
Well iv been making music under the name How Green for roughly 2 years or so, it's my artistic alias that is free to explore all sides of experimental beats music in all it's glory.

We have read on your facebook that How Green is your 'latest' creation, what other stuff have you done before?
Iv always been involved in the electronic music scene, as a Dj for years playing drum n bass then to dub step before finding my way with my own productions in trip hop/electronica and experimental beats music. I tend to always be on the experimental side of music so when a "genre" that I'm heavily involved in turns in directions that no longer embrace experimentation, I can't help but find greener pastures.. But as a producer, your pastures are what you make them.

What made you think about making music in this style? And what would you describe it as?
I just make the music that naturally comes out of me, so I guess it's a very trip hop/ beatsy/ electronica sound at the moment, but who knows what will come out next, that may well change.

There is obviously a big hip hop influence, who do you look up to in the music world? 
Guys like J-dilla and flying lotus of course, and bonobo is one if my personal heros. But there's also a guy called Galapagoose originally from Melbourne who really shaped my mind in terms of production and performance, he was a major influence on me.... iv been on a real golden era hip hop kick lately too, that stuff is untouchable.

Your latest E.P has lots of vocals, are they all samples or have you recorded much? 
I wish I could sing well enough to sample my own voice.. But sadly I'm restricted to singing only in the shower. I love the loose freedoms in chopped up, incoherent vocal sampling, it's fun and abstract.

The Australia music scene is awesome, but struggles to get over the water to Europe. Can you give us some names to check out?
Australia is absolutely killing it at the moment, especially in the beats scene. I mean you've got the big guns like Flume and Ta-ku, but there's guys like Oisima, slamagotchi, able8, Oliver tank, oscar key sung, adras fox, electric sea spider, datackae, ghost soul, Oddessa, ostinato, retiree ect ect ect.. Iv definitely left some names off the list.. These guys, just to name a few, are making some seriously good music.

Saying that your signed to a Spanish label aren't you? How did this come about?
Avantroots records is a beautiful little label out of Barcelona, run by two of the nicest guys in the world, who go by the production duo 'Pulshar'.. It came about through a mutual love of art and good experimental music.


You have supported some awesome acts, we are interested to know what your live shows are like?
I try to keep each live performance spontaneous and semi improvised to keep the crowd engaged. It's basically a lay out of a whole bunch of sample pads. drums with one hand and samples with another. It's a fun time

And finally what do you prefer Mars or Cherry Ripple?
Haha.. Well we don't have cherry ripple in Australia so I'm forced to say mars.. Though cherry ripple sounds nicer

Peace

For more on How Green check out his:
Facebook
Soundcloud
Bandcamp


For more new interviews, reviews and tracks of the day, come and join us on:
Facebook
Twitter
Soundcloud


No comments:

Post a Comment